This is a good time to join St Martins of Tours (St Martins); we are embarking on an exciting service-wide development programme, and are looking for dynamic individuals to support us with our change processes.
St Martins are a London based provider of registered care and supported accommodation for people with mental health needs. Currently, we can support up to 85 people, and we have projects in Islington, Haringey, Brent and Lambeth with some exciting plans for developing all our services. We are an ambitious organisation, aiming to provide high quality services which are recognised for being effective, flexible and resident focused.
The current group service users at St Martins are mainly (but not exclusively) male, of working age, and have often spent considerable time within institutional settings. Many of our current service users have severe and enduring mental health challenges, sometimes with backgrounds of social instability and patterns of offending, illegal/illicit substance and/or alcohol use. We also have some female service users, and people aged over 65 years.
We work closely with statutory mental health services and our partner agencies to provide a recovery based approach. Our aim is to provide our service users with the opportunity to progress from our services, onto living more independently within the community.
This is a new role at St Martins, and it will be an important part of the team driving the organisation forwards. The role will be key in supporting the development of our care services moving forwards, as we formalise our referral, assessment and placement pathways by making them more effective and personalised.
- the main purpose of the role will be to provide leadership to all unit based staff, and ensure a high quality, therapeutic service is delivered on a 24 hour basis
- this is a post which works shifts and is within the unit establishment
- support the delivery of evidence based best practice
- manage team performance on shift, demonstrate positive values and support ensuring key targets are met
- provide a consistent approach to service user care, which is focused on the Recovery Star approach
- ensure effective systems to promote both safety and security are deployed
- participate in the manager’s on-call system to provide the first point of contact for unit based staff, outside of normal working hours
- ensure audit actions plans are implemented
- foster a culture of development, and support
- demonstrate a positive and objective attitude and behaviours in everyday practice
- support day to day operational management in relation to clinical risk, care planning, staffing, and assessment
- ensure St Martins Policy and Procedures are maintained
- facilitate full compliance with the CQC and any other relevant regulators/statutory bodies
- monitor that legislation is complied with
- ensure incidents are always reported using the Datix system
- maintain ‘patient’ safety standards
- complete any reasonable requests, including deputising for senior staff and/or supporting colleagues in different units when required
- ensuring compliance with HR processes including holidays/sickness absence etc
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The role will require the following of the post-holder:
- provide day-to-day operational support to the unit team
- ensure budgeted staffing is maintained
- ensure all practices are concordant with St Martins policy
- lead on role modelling St Martins values
- provide support, advice and leadership on the unit
- support the achievement of targets set by commissioners/CQC etc.
- facilitate managerial and clinical supervision of unit staff, and document on the Bamboo HR system
- provide leadership, and drive up the standards of practice
- support in managing emergencies, and debriefing staff following incidents
- communicate with colleagues to effectively meet identified residents’ needs
- communicate the needs of residents effectively.
- demonstrate best practice techniques in managing the prevention & management of abusive, aggressive and/or challenging behaviour
- ensure legal and professional responsibilities are met to ensure all Mental Health Legislation is adhered to
- support and manage comments, compliment, concerns, and complaints and escalate as per policy
- maintain high quality delivery of assessments, care and support planning, implementation and evaluation of residents’ care from admission to discharge
- maintain high standards of clinical care
- ensure that the Recovery Star approach is effectively deployed
- report incidents ensuring the correct reporting procedure is implemented
- provide oral reports on the activities of the team and other significant matters
- initiate, develop and implement new ideas for the improvement of services in conjunction with colleagues
- assume overall responsibility for ensuring service user records are maintained and that the information therein meets the requirements laid out by the commissioning and regulatory bodies
- ensure there is a safe and welcoming environment for staff, residents and visitors
- attend clinical audit and governance meetings as required and disseminate learning to the team
- support effective rota planning that meets the needs of the client group
- maintain the St Martins duty rota and ensure staffing levels are adhered to
- ensure that all clinical and operational polices are followed
- ensure that the residents’ rights and dignity are maintained by all staff
- manage and escalate concerns regards care and treatment and promote the whistleblowing policy so staff are aware of how it works
- ensure confidentiality for service users, staff and the organisation are maintained
- promote St Martins positively
- take responsibility for monitoring mandatory training
- actively engage in annual appraisals and competency assessments
- work across the unit as required and ensure environments are maintained in a clean and orderly manner
- ensure high levels of hygiene and infection control systems are maintained and ensure the actions of all staff on the unit reduces risks to health & safety
- form a part of the out of hours on call rota as required
This job description is not definitive and will be reviewed periodically in the light of
corporate and local developments, in consultation with the post holder.
Main duties and Responsibilities:
|Identifying unit needs||
|Project management and budgets||
|Other||Any other duties reasonably requested.|
This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS checkPerson Specification
Job Title: Learning and Development Compliance Manager
E = ESSENTIAL, D = DESIRABLE for applicants to meet relevant standard
|Experience of working in a not-for-profit culture in a health/social care context||E||Application form|
|Experience of supporting team performance and helping residents with complex mental health needs||E||Interview|
|Experience of statutory regulation and legislation linked to mental health||E||Interview|
|First degree and/or diploma||E||Application Form|
|Post graduate diploma or masters level qualification||D||Application form|
|Reasonable standard of IT knowledge, Word and PowerPoint, Excel||E||Interview|
|Experience in governance, safeguarding and evidence based practice||E||Interview|
|Ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English.||E||Application form/ Interview|
|Able to use own initiative, skills in problem solving||E||Interview|
|Ability to multi-task, and manage time effectively.||E||Interview|
|Ability to communicate and negotiate with colleagues, residents and other professionals.||E||Interview|
|Aptitude for maintaining positive relationships||E||Interview|
|Treat everyone fairly, with respect and dignity, responding sensitively to differences.||E||Application form/Interview|
Salary & Benefits:
You will receive 25 days leave each year, in addition to statutory public holidays. You will be able to take your birthday as an additional day of annual leave.
The working week is 36 hours, including a 20-minute break each day. This role may be considered for job share and/or part time hours.
St Martin of Tours operates a contributory Group Personal Pensions Scheme. Full details of the scheme are available from HR.
- Cycle to Work scheme
- St Martins operates a health cashback plan