Mental health is a crucial aspect of our overall well-being. It influences how we think, feel, and act. It also affects how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. However, mental health is often overlooked in favour of physical health. A holistic approach to mental health recognizes that to be mentally healthy, one must also consider physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.
Understanding Holistic Mental Health
Holistic mental health is an approach that considers the whole person – body, mind, spirit, and emotions – in the quest for optimal health and wellness. It emphasises the connection of mind, body, and spirit. Instead of focusing solely on symptom treatment, it focuses on the underlying causes of the disease and uses a variety of treatments to solve the root cause.
Why holistic approach is important?
A holistic approach to mental health acknowledges that a person is not defined by their mental health condition. It considers all aspects of a person’s life, including physical health, emotional balance, social factors, and spiritual beliefs. This approach can lead to comprehensive life changes, improving quality of life and promoting overall well-being.
Which are the holistic treatments for Mental Health?
Holistic treatments may include traditional therapy combined with other therapies like:
- Physical activity: Regular exercise can boost your mood and act as a natural anti-depressant.
- Proper nutrition: A balanced diet can improve brain function and contribute to overall mental health.
- Adequate sleep: Quality sleep is essential for mental health. It allows the brain to rest and recharge.
- Mindfulness and meditation: These practices can help individuals stay present and focused, reducing anxiety and stress.
- Social connections: Building strong, positive relationships can provide a support network and enhance mental well-being.
How St Martin’s supports Mental Health residents in a holistic approach?
- Group and individual daily activities: St Martin’s offer numerous activity options for residents in an attempt to develop creativity, social skills, physical and mental health in proactive ways. Either this could be a walking session, a gym visit, a football activity or drawing, poetry classes, meditation, talking therapy sessions.
- Suitable dietary meal options: Our catering services provide fresh, light and tasty full course options on a daily basis adjusted to residents’ preferences and dietary needs. Residents and staff are participating in weekly cooking sessions in order to promote nutritional and tasty meals.
- Sleeping routine monitoring: Our friendly and compassionate staff are present in the project every single night. Our team is willing to discuss any concerns or sleeping difficulties with residents. Furthermore, St Martin’s provides a safe, homely and comfortable environment for residents while house rules are in place to ensure a peaceful environment during quiet times.
- Social events and relations: In our organisation we like to socialize. Human interaction is paramount in order to practice social and communicational skills and discover suitable practices in expressing one’s self. For that reason, we often host residents’ meetings, resident’s coproduction events, BBQs, summer fair festival and more. We encourage residents to support and respect each other, to maintain-improve heal thy relationships with peers, family, friends, healthcare professionals.